A rainy day spent with Webkit.
Meme is a simple WebKit/GTK+ browser with:
- Bookmarks and cookies.
- WebKit Plugins and Inspector.
- Download source.
- Install a build environment, with gtk and webkit dev libraries.
- Edit config.h to your satisfaction. Touch bookmarks and cookies files.
- Build and run it:
Browser Location Bar
The location bar can be used in several ways:
- Hover the mouse over a link and the location bar will change to show the link's URL, like a status bar.
- Type text into the location bar to see a drop down list of matches from your bookmarks.
- Bookmark a url (doesn't need leading http://):
- Activate WebKit plugins (flash, etc) on the fly (page will reload):
- Search a page for text (CTL+F helps):
Can be customized in config.h. Some of the defaults will be familiar to any Firefox or Chrome user:
- ALT + Home - go home (HOMEPAGE in config.h)
- ALT + Left - go back
- ALT + Right - go forward
- CTL + L - focus the location bar
- CTL + = (equals sign) - zoom in
- CTL + - (minus sign) - zoom out
- CTL + 0 - (zero) reset zoom to 100%
- CTL + S - toggle page source mode
- CTL + R - force page reload without cache
- CTL + T - open a new window
- CTL + P - print the page
- CTL + F - find text within the page
- CTL + B - bookmark the page
Right Click Menu
... should be self explanatory.
Meme has a custom user agent string that tries to convey general Webkit/Safari compatability:
Meme/1.0 (X11; U; Unix; en-AU) AppleWebKit/531.2+ Compatible (Safari)
But, some sites still get upset and assume we are plague-ridden. Pretending to be Chrome can make things work:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.597.0 Safari/534.13